Background

Monday, March 21, 2011

Half-Guilt Banana Bread

I have been trying for awhile to bake a healthier banana bread. What else can you do with the bananas your kid refused to eat all week? I found a recipe online that worked well with substitutions. First I tried replacing all the butter with regular vanilla yogurt. The texture was wonderful and very moist, but it didn't taste quite the same. Still good, but not what you expect when you crave banana bread. Next I tried replacing the butter with light vanilla yogurt, which was simply just a bad idea. Finally, I tried replacing half the butter with regular vanilla yogurt, and even my husband, the banana bread connoisseur, couldn't tell the difference!

I plan on applying this idea to other banana bread recipes and cake recipes as well. Here's to half-guilt goodies!


3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/6 cup vanilla yogurt 
1/6 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a wooden spoon, mix yogurt and butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Spray a 4x8 inch loaf pan lightly with cooking spray and pour in the mixture. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve. 

I seriously just throw everything into my KitchenAid and it's done in minutes.  Easiest recipe ever.  You can add walnuts or even chocolate chips if you like.  If you like a hard crust, let the banana bread cool all the way on the rack and then eat.  If you like a soft crust like I do, let it cool mostly on the rack and then wrap in plastic wrap.  After a short while it should be moist and ready to eat.

2 comments:

  1. I love banana bread, but I make it with about 6-9 bananas just for all the extra flavor and overall yummy banana goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! I was trying to think of a treat to make for FHE tonight, and I have brown bananas sitting here. Genius!

    ReplyDelete