Background

Monday, June 27, 2011

Grateful for the Pain

Last night I read a talk about trials, given by Elder Paul V. Johnson (of the LDS Church), entitled "More Than Conquerors through Him That Loved Us."

I just couldn't help but think back to when my husband was deployed. So many of the things Elder Johnson talked about were exactly how I had felt at certain points: how at the beginning I pleaded with God to end this madness because I really didn't think the blessings could outweigh the pain of the experience, how it seemed that this test was focused on an area I felt weak in, and then later when it was almost over and I felt that God was proud of me in some way for trying to do what He expected of me.

Although there are many good points in his article, and I strongly suggest that anyone of any faith read it, I want to focus on a few things that I feel can be applied to improving our physical strength as well.

How many times have you caught yourself thinking, "Gee, I wish I could just be naturally skinny and fit instead of having to work out and eat right"? I sure know I have, probably more than I'd like to admit. In health, in trials, in education, in pretty much any aspect of life, we must put forth the effort and endure the pain to get the growth. Elder Johnson said, "Sometimes we want to have growth without challenges and to develop strength without any struggle. But growth cannot come by taking the easy way." This can, quite literally, be applied to our physical well-being. We have to continually struggle and challenge ourselves to grow. We all want to become something. Whether the goal is to bulk up, lose 5 pounds, run a marathon, get a college degree, or be more independent, we have to do the things that get us to that goal. There is no worthwhile accomplishment that comes for free.

So what if you are, right now, in the process of "paying?" It is easy to hate every moment of a workout when the results aren't immediate or loathe every minute of solitude when your husband is away and you still have 8 months until you see him again. Elder Johnson said, "We must be careful that we don't resent the very things that help us..." We must be faithful in all things. We must believe that the hard work we put in now will pay off in the future. When you are in pain, no matter what kind of pain it is, you must keep sight of your goals and remain determined to succeed. Never resent the hard things you've been through because with each moment of pain, followed by a resolve to be strong, you are brought closer to that goal of being the person you want to be.

At some point when my husband was deployed I started to understand the reasons why it was all necessary for me. There is always something to learn from pain. Just as we must tear our muscles down through exercise so that they can grow stronger, we must also go through a little tearing down ourselves so that we can grow stronger. Whether physical or emotional, our pain is only a small moment compared to what we can become. 

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly what I needed to hear today. So glad you are apart of my family!

    ReplyDelete