Background

Friday, March 1, 2013

Why Water is the Absolute BEST Tool for Weight Loss

Weight loss can get overwhelming and intimidating, right? Sometimes I feel like there are about 100 things I should be doing to be healthier and I'm failing most of them. Well folks, we can't be perfect. As much as I'd like to be the shining example of perfection in just about every area of my life, it ain't happening. So here's what you gotta do. Add in one thing at a time until it becomes a habit. Do it until you don't have to think about it any more. Do it until it is just part of your day, part of you. This week I've added this simple thing: DRINKING MORE WATER.
Water. You forgot what it looked like, didn't you? ;) [from Google]
Seriously? Seriously, guys. That's it. And you know what? I lost 6 pounds this week. Six. Freakin'. Pounds. I can't even believe it myself. I don't think I've EVER lost that much in one week. 

Do you know what that number tells me? It tells me I was pretty dehydrated! Not so great. Here are some things you might find interesting about this miracle worker, water.

Your entire body relies on water to function properly. This includes your metabolism! Even the slightest amount of dehydration can slow your metabolism, something you definitely do not want to do. To explain this further, think about your muscles. A well-known fact is that muscles are made up of about 70% water. Muscles are energy creators. How do they create energy? They burn calories. If your muscles are dehydrated, they fail at their job, and you fail at losing weight. 

Do you need more convincing? Let's take a look at the liver. Just one of the functions of the liver is to help digest fats. The liver is a fat burning organ! Dehydration affects every system, remember? Yes, dehydration negatively affects the liver's ability to convert fat into energy, which -- you guessed it -- slows your metabolism. 

There is so much science behind that good advice to drink more water. I'm one of those people that has to know that science for myself, even if it's just the simple version. Just hearing that water aids weight loss wasn't enough for me to keep that water bottle in my hands; I had to know WHY. Do a little research about this yourself. You might be surprised what you learn!

And don't forget to keep sipping that water all day!


No comments:

Post a Comment