Background

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Goals

Something that each person needs to realize is that goals have to be your own, and they have to be reasonable. They have to be tailored to you, not your friend, your husband, your mother, or the girl lifting absurd amounts of weight beside you in the gym.

Know your body. Do you have a larger frame? Are your shoulders wide? Certain things decide what your reasonable, healthy weight is. My mother is a very slim woman, but I do not have her body shape or size. Therefore, it would be an unreasonable goal for me to try to attain a weight even within 15 pounds of hers.

It is also unreasonable to assume that just because you were a certain weight at one point, you can attain that weight again, especially after drastic body changes such as pregnancy or surgery. Don't be surprised if your new healthy weight and body shape are different from what you are used to. When it comes to pregnancy, you should rejoice in those changes because they are proof of the work your body did to create your children. I am proud of every scar I have; they are reminders of the struggles I've been through to get to where I am today. They are proof of life that is lived, and I'm not ashamed to look like a real woman! Not all of us have the privilege of being airbrushed and photoshopped.

We also need reasonable goals when it comes to fitness. An athlete training for a marathon has to work up to that level of ability. Make small goals for yourself that are tailored to your current abilities. When you reach that goal, be proud of it! So what if your friend can run a 6 minute mile? I'm just proud of myself for actually being able to run the whole mile! It might have been 12 minutes long, but that's one more step to getting in better shape. Before about a month ago I hadn't run a mile since high school. I slowly increased my speed and endurance to get to where I am now. It takes time, so give it time. Eventually your smaller goals will get you to your bigger ones.

Goals are important to have, but if they aren't reasonable you'll be more likely to give up due to frustration. What works for me is setting a bunch of smaller goals, like stepping stones to the big one. Sometimes the "big picture" goal can be overwhelming, so remember to take the time to be happy about reaching those smaller goals!

What are some small goals that you've made on the way to your larger ones?

3 comments:

  1. I really do love reading your posts. It motivates me to be better physically and emotionally! This post is what I needed most this week. When I found out I was pregnant with my second, Porter was only 6 months old and I wasn't ready to start working out yet. It was such a surprise. Throughout my second pregnancy, my body was in more pain than the first. Maybe it was because 1. I just had Porter and 2. I didn't exercise or challenge myself to do more for my muscles than walking around the apartment.

    So now, having just had a baby two months ago, I am ready to hit the trail and get back in shape. Currently my small goal is to work out mildly then increase my workout level so I can prepare myself physically again for my next baby--which won't be for a while. I am totally determine and I thank ya for writing this because now I'm inspired to write out my goals so I don't forget. You rock and roll, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ailinh! My delivery was crazy hard because I wasn't in good shape at all, so that was a huge factor in deciding what I wanted my body to be able to do. I'm hoping the next one will go a little better after taking the time to get in shape before getting pregnant again, as well as staying fit while pregnant. Props to you for getting into exercise so soon afterward! I think you've got the right idea, taking it slow and easing into things.

    ReplyDelete