Background

Friday, October 8, 2010

Make the Switch

There are a few items that can easily be replaced with healthier options. Making these changes will cut unnecessary fat and calories, hopefully with minimal discomfort to you.

1. Choose skim milk rather than 2%. 
You may think 2% sounds innocent, but it still has 5 grams of fat and about 125 calories per serving. Skim milk only has about 90 calories per serving.

2. Choose whole grain breads and pasta over white breads and pasta. 
Whole grains are good carbs. White starchy products are the "evil" carbs. 

3. Choose 96% lean ground beef (140 calories, 4.5 g fat) not 93% lean (170 calories, 8 g fat). 
It can be more expensive, but it is worth it. It is still very flavorful and moist if you don't overcook it.

4. Choose water, and just say no to soda! 
I enjoy an occasional soda, probably only once a month or so, but it is not okay everyday. Soda is nutritionally bankrupt, whether it be regular or diet. Chances are, if you are drinking a soda, you are depriving yourself of the water you need.

5. Choose romaine (or pretty much any other leafy green) over iceberg lettuce. 
Iceberg is basically crunchy water, so do your body a favor and eat a real vegetable!

You may notice I didn't include any replacements that contain artificial sweeteners rather than sugar. That is because I don't believe in them, and I think they taste nasty. I have read a bit about artificial sweeteners and I'm a little scared by them, since I think they may cause some metabolic mayhem. That is just my own personal opinion though, so if you like your sugar-free yogurt, don't let me stop you.

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. Okay after reading through the list and discovering that I already do it all. I must say it made me feel sooo Happy!!! Let's face it baby fat isn't going to remove itself!!! Thanks for your blog, I love it!!!
    Sister Amy Thompson

    ReplyDelete