Background

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Potato Chip Crusted Chicken

Without exaggeration, this is definitely the best chicken I have ever made. I'm not that creative when it comes to seasoning things, and I think that's what I really liked about this recipe. It even smelled amazing when I was mixing the spices together. If you even remotely enjoy chicken with a fried coating then you gotta try this recipe.

2 3-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, visible fat removed 
1/3 c low-fat buttermilk
Olive oil spray (NOT Pam, olive oil in a spray bottle used for cooking.  I don't have one yet, so I just used a brush and lightly dabbed the oil on.)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp salt
pinch of cayenne (I left this out to avoid spiciness.)
1.5 oz (about 1/2 c) finely crushed Baked Ruffles

1. Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap. Use the flat side of a meat mallet to pound them to an even ½-inch thickness. Put the chicken breasts in a resealable plastic bag. Pour the buttermilk over the breasts, seal the bag, and then turn the bag to coat. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight, rotating once or twice.
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
3. Lightly mist a small nonstick baking sheet with spray. 
4. Mix the onion powder, paprika, black pepper, salt, and cayenne in a small bowl. 
5. Put the chips in a medium shallow bowl.
6. Remove one chicken breast from the buttermilk and let any excess buttermilk drip off. Sprinkle both sides of the breast evenly with half of the seasoning mixture. Then transfer the breast to the bowl of crushed chips and cover completely with the chips. Place the coated breast on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken breast. Discard the remaining marinade.
7. Lightly mist the top of both breasts with spray. Bake for 4 minutes, and then carefully flip the breasts with a spatula, being sure not to remove the coating. Lightly mist the tops with spray and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until the coating is crispy and the chicken is no longer pink inside. Serve immediately.

One chicken breast is 206 calories, 22 g protein, 20 g carbs, 4 g fat, trace sat fat.  At least that's what the recipe says.  I argue that it has more fat than that, depending on how much olive oil you use and how many chips you crush.  I only cooked one chicken breast, so I made sure not to use more than one serving of the chips, and I didn't use all of them.  I didn't have a spray bottle, so brushing the oil on, even lightly, probably added more fat, but I know I didn't use even half a serving of that.  Just be sure to follow the recipes the best that you can so they stay healthy!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm... this probably goes totally against the healthy thing, but I wonder how this would taste with Ranch Doritos... :)

    ReplyDelete