Background

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Stronger

I used to go days at a time where I felt totally inadequate for my life. Days where I couldn't even think about everything I was expected to do because it completely overwhelmed me. I let myself feel weak, and I hate feeling weak.

I still have a day every once in awhile where I feel like that. I think we all have an occasional day where life is a little too much to handle. But most of the time I'm strong. I can do anything. I'm fierce, and no one can keep me down. I am capable.

Why the change? There are a lot of things that contributed to my new attitude: prayer, the passing of time, faith, and people have all kept me going, but the two things I want to focus on are goals and exercise, which go hand in hand.

When I first started to change my lifestyle, I really doubted that I could do it. I had tried to change so many times before and didn't really see any results, so I stopped. I thought this would be the same way. The difference was that all those times before I was doing it the wrong way. Too many people think it's all about cutting calories and fat, and eating as little as you can (most commonly in the form of salad). I had to educate myself to know what was really healthy, and what was maintainable. When you really know what you are doing, and, more importantly, why it works for your body, you start to see your goals fulfilled. When you see that your hard work is paying off, that's a source of strength that can keep you going.

Reaching some of my goals gives me the confidence to push forward and reach for other goals. If I can do something that I thought was impossible for me, I can do other things that I think are just as impossible. However, that feeling of accomplishment can fade as we start to forget about the goals we have reached. Exercise has been a much more constant source of confidence and strength for me because it is something I do on a regular basis. Exercise can help relieve stress, focus the mind, build muscle, increase endurance, and improve bone strength, but very few people think about the power it has to build your inner strength, your self-esteem, your confidence.

When we are in class, one of my favorite instructors at my gym always says, "Your bodies are strong! They are stronger than you think they are!" I've learned to believe in that completely. Most of what we do or don't do is because of our mental strength, what we think we can do. When we push past that "I can't" and just do it, we find there is a lot more we can accomplish. When I exercise I feel like I have full control over what my body is doing. Control makes you feel powerful and strong. It is amazing to start out the day feeling in control.

So ask yourself: Are you ready to feel powerful? Are you ready to be in control? Are you ready to forget about that weakness you've allowed yourself to feel?

I'm not about to let the unexpected bring me down, and neither should you.

2 comments:

  1. Yay thanks for inspiring me :) Sometimes I feel like a weak lame person, but then I decide I want to be a competent, strong person and so I make myself act that way!

    ReplyDelete