Background

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Anniversary



Today is my two-year anniversary of marriage to my best friend.
And he's not even here with me in person to celebrate it.
The closest thing I got to some lovin' was hearing "muah!" over voice chat and reading "muah!" over an instant message when the voice chat failed.

The me of my past life would grab the ice cream out of the freezer, and dump the biggest scoops I could manage into a bowl the size of my head. And I'll tell you one thing, it certainly wouldn't be reduced-fat.

That's how I used to cope.
Crappy day: "Oh, I deserve some ice cream after the way today was!"
Really crappy day: "I don't care if I gain 10 pounds, I'm finishing off this ice cream!"
So crappy, you can't even imagine: "Nothing else matters except feeling better right now. Gimme the ice cream."  

Okay, so maybe I exaggerated a bit for your benefit, but I really did cope with food. It was there for me when no one else was. I had issues. I still have issues. Part of the process I had to go through to get to where I am now is figuring out ways of coping with life that didn't have to do with food.

So that's where you all reap the benefits of my hard work. I'm going to share some of those ideas today, not in any particular order.
1. Take a bubble bath. 
It's a much better stress-reliever because you don't feel guilty afterward.
2. Get a hobby.
One reason I over-ate was boredom. Once you find something that you really look forward to doing, you won't be so likely to reach for a cookie. This one takes time, though. You may have to try 10 different things before you find one you really enjoy.
3. Exercise.
Don't be so quick to dismiss this one. Exercise is a wonderful stress-reliever! Even just exercising once a day, and not necessarily the moment stress hits, can help put you in a happier, more relaxed mood all day.
4. Write in your journal.
Feeling a little frustrated with the day? With the kids? With the husband? With the job? Write it down. Releasing negative emotions into writing can be quite therapeutic.
5. Read a good book.
Heaven knows fantasy is often better than reality.
6. Call someone you can really talk to.
We all need a good "vent" every now and then. Food won't ever help solve your problems, but a good friend can.
7. Listen to some calming music.
Lay back, close your eyes, and focus on the music. Don't think about your day. Don't think about your problems. Let the music bring your blood pressure down and erase that list of worries.
8. Take a nap.
This one is important! Sometimes when I've completely had it with the day I'll take a nap at the same time as my daughter. Lack of sleep can make you irritable and impatient. No? Not you, you say? I guess it's just me then!
9. Pray
And I mean really pray. Let it all out. No one knows you better than Heavenly Father, and certainly no one is a better listener. All these years I chose my way of healing, which consisted of sugars and fats, when I should have chose His way of healing, which actually works.
10. Serve others.
I know I have a long way to go before I'm an expert at serving others, but I definitely know the power of service. If your problems are feeling a little too heavy, it could be because they are your central focus. Try on someone else's problems for size and you might not notice the weight of your own as much.

These are just a few! There are many other things that can help you deal with life. All of them are better than self-medicating with food. Maybe none of you have this problem, but my instincts tell me that some of you do. What are some healthy ways you cope with life?

And while it's still my anniversary, not to mention my blog, I claim a brag moment: I weigh less today than I did on my wedding day. How many people can say the same, 2 years and 1 baby later?!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary! So sorry you had to celebrate alone:(. But way to go on weighing less!!! That is quite a feat. I sure don't. I love all your feel good tips. I tend to reach for food...and not the healthy stuff, so in turn, I feel even worse...guilty and sluggish.

    ReplyDelete