Background

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Is Full-Fat Really All That?

Ice cream. Oh, how I love it. I don't have cookies or cupcakes or chocolate regularly stocked in my home, but ice cream is a must-have for me. When I run out of it, I have to go to the store, just like I would for milk, eggs, or bread. It's really the only ready-made "sweet" you'll find in my home, other than Nilla Wafers for my daughter, which aren't really my thing.

Am I addicted to it? Oh, yeah. I can admit that. Do I plan on giving it up? Don't make me laugh. I'd rather be 10 pounds heavier and eat some ice cream multiple times a week than go without it and be at my "perfect" weight. I've given up other indulgences, and let's face it, a life without a bit of indulgence is no life at all. I don't believe in giving up everything you like, mostly because it's impossible to maintain a lifestyle that makes you feel imprisoned by food.

I have said many times that when it comes to dessert, either eat it or don't. Meaning, don't eat some reduced-fat or sugar-free version, only half enjoying it! It's just a waste of calories. But, alas, I am changing my philosophy, at least when it comes to ice cream.

Previously, I had posted that I do eat reduced-fat ice cream. I find it to be just as enjoyable as the full-fat version; however, you are quite limited in your flavors. If you are a vanilla or chocolate person you'll have no problem making the switch. I even found a delicious reduced-fat peanut butter cup ice cream at Target. I just have a problem paying twice as much for some specialty reduced-fat bars, and that's where all the variety is, unfortunately.

And then yesterday when I went grocery shopping, there was absolutely nothing to choose from! I was so disappointed. My choices were chocolate, vanilla, or coffee. And I'm not one of those vanilla or chocolate people. I like a little more personality in my ice cream. I almost went for the regular chocolate chip cookie dough, but I didn't. I decided, heck, if those are my only choices I might as well try the fat free vanilla. Yes, you heard me correctly: FAT FREE.


I grabbed that Breyers Fat Free Vanilla, fully expecting it to be disgusting. Honestly, how could fat free ice cream be any good? So when I got home, I tried a spoonful. I was too curious to wait! Had I just wasted $2.50 that could have been spent on chocolate chip cookie dough?!

The results are in. It was actually good! It was creamy, and tasted just like vanilla should taste like! Well, then it must have a ton of sugar in it right? Actually, no!

Let's compare a serving of Breyers Fat Free Vanilla to the Breyers Natural Vanilla:
Fat Free Vanilla - 120 calories, 0 g fat, 4 g protein, 27 g carbs (4 g fiber & 16 g sugar)
Natural Vanilla - 130 calories, 7 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 3 g protein, 14 g carbs (all sugar)

Okay, so it's a little more sugar, but you get fiber and another gram of protein, all for 10 fewer calories. Not bad for ice cream. I've seen sherbet, which people somehow think is healthy, that also has no fat, but twice as many grams of sugar!

When it comes down to it, I still need a few more choices. You won't be seeing plain, boring vanilla in my cart every single time. Although, if I need some vanilla for sundaes or next to some birthday cake, I'll be picking up a carton of my new favorite fat free treat.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what the difference in nutrition/calories would be if you bought the fat free ice cream and added in all the extra variety yourself compared to buying it like that. For example, if you liked chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, but either made the cookie dough or bought some to meet your health standards for your ice cream. It sounds like it would be a lot of work, but if the results were really significant it might be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought about that, and specifically of applying my mini chocolate chips concept and just sprinkling a few on top. We'll see how that works!

    ReplyDelete