Background

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Get to Class!

Until a few weeks ago I had been going at this totally alone, and in the wrong way. I worked out at home, doing the same thing because, well, I live in a condo. I don't have the space, or the money, for more than one machine, and that one machine is currently in our office with two desks, a couple of bookcases, two dumbbells, and just about enough floor space to do crunches. I could buy a running stroller and try that, but I don't have the room for another stroller either. And I hate running. Especially outside.

I'd even stick my kid in what I call "jail," which is a hexagonal play yard fenced off with baby gates. She really, really hates it. And I can't hear my iPod or my Law and Order: SVU episode over her screaming and the dramatic hurling of herself from side to side as she shakes the walls of the play yard. Let's face it, I can't wait until she takes a nap to work out because then I've given up my allotted shower time. Working out, and then giving up my shower is not an option. I think my friends, family, and the general public would agree with that one.

I started slacking off. It was too hard to wake up before the baby because she kept waking up earlier and earlier, and I'm the kind of person that cannot wake up early unless I absolutely have to. I tried working out when she was awake, but that was a disaster because either I put her in "jail" or she would reach for the elliptical arms or pick up the dumbbells and hurt herself. At that point, working out was kind of hit and miss for me; sometimes I'd get to it, sometimes I didn't.

Something had to change. I mean, this was just not working. As luck would have it, I talked to one of my friends (who is a personal trainer at a gym) about my goals and such, and she suggested I look into joining a gym. I really liked the idea of the daycare because I am in desperate need of some "me" time. You may think I'm cruel for wanting to get away from my toddler, but believe me, if you are the only one with your child 24/7 it's in the best interest for both of you. Anyway, the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea.

So I did it. I joined a gym, but I kept doing everything myself. I'd do my cardio; I'd do my strength training, but I wasn't trying anything new. I wanted to try some classes, but I was kind of nervous. How would I look? What if I was the worst one there? What if it was too hard? I just kept talking myself out of it since I was still seeing results doing things my way.

Then this past Wednesday I finally tried a class: BodyVive. Cardio, resistance training, pushups, abs, flexibility...a little bit of everything. The hour went by quickly and I left feeling pretty good. I pushed myself, but I wasn't exhausted afterward. Then Thursday morning came, and I got out of bed and almost fell on my face. What the heck happened to my calves?! I could not walk. My legs hurt, my arms hurt, my chest hurt...everything hurt. It was awesome! I knew I had to do that class again. Obviously that class was working muscles I wasn't getting on my own. At that moment I was hooked.

My calves were still hurting a little this morning, but I went again anyway. There's just something about going to class that makes you push yourself harder. I would never do pushups on my own, but when I'm in class, I do it. I do anything that instructor tells me.

I'm definitely an advocate of going to class. I believe you'll get results you'd never get on your own. It's fun, the time goes by fast, and you have the support of the instructor and all those classmates. Who cares if you look like a fool? No one's looking at you anyway. So if you have the opportunity, see what's offered and get to class!

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I'm not nearly as motivated to spend an hour a day working out alone, but in class, you have to! I've made it a priority for the past few semesters in school to register for at least one athletic elective class so that not only am I working out, but getting college credit for it too! Once I graduate, I'll have to join a gym just to get the class experience again, but it will be so worth it.

    ReplyDelete