Background

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Crispy Chicken Tenders & Tunes to Keep You Pumped

I kind of have an obsession with Chili's Chicken Crispers.  If you've ever had them, you'll know that you can taste the oil oozing out as you bite into one.  Not a good sign.  And by "good" I mean healthy.  Sure, they are delicious, but they make me feel so guilty, not to mention sluggish.  Here's a recipe for chicken tenders that is sure to give you the energy that a lean protein should, in an appetizing way!
I cannot take pictures of food to save my life.  So these are from Google, but they really do look like what you'll be making.
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 c nonfat buttermilk
1 lb chicken tenders
1.5 c cornflakes, crushed to medium crumbs
Nonstick cooking spray


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl (I used a gallon-size Ziplock bag)  combine garlic, spices, and buttermilk.  Add the chicken and turn in the marinade.  Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
Place cornflake crumbs on a plate. Drain the chicken and coat each tender in the crumbs, pressing addition coating on the sides.
Place on prepared baking sheet in a single layer and bake until firm, about 15 minutes.


The red pepper flakes do add a bit of spice to these, so if you like a little kick then these are for you.  I found it to be a bit too much for my toddler, so if you have kids consider leaving them out.


Now on to one of my favorite topics: music.  It can really make or break a workout.  I gotta have something I can feel, something pushing me to move faster.  Here are some of my favorite picks for a workout playlist, in no particular order.
1. Obsessed - Mariah Carey
There's just something about singing, "Boy, why you so obsessed with me?" that makes you feel like the hottest thing in the gym.
2. Supermassive Black Hole - Muse
This beat will get you moving.  If it doesn't, you may want to check your vitals.
3. Abracadabra - Steve Miller Band
I just can't get enough of this song!  Maybe it's cheesy, but I don't care!
4. The One - Mary J. Blige
Another self-esteem booster.  "Them other girls you done been with, none of them got nothing on me..."  Okay, so the grammar isn't the best, but the beat is awesome.
5. Twilight Omens - Franz Ferdinand
Aside from the fact that Franz Ferdinand is my favorite band OF ALL TIME, and that my brother (away on his mission, my best friend, I miss him terribly...) absolutely loves them as well, this song just rocks.  Even my toddler dances to this song!  
6. Coming Undone - Korn
You can really feel the beat in this song.  It'll get you pumped for sure.
7. Must Have Done Something Right - Relient K
"We should get jerseys 'cuz we make a good team.  But yours would look better than mine 'cuz you're outta my league."  This song is cute.  Way cute.
8. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) - Eurythmics
You may not recognize the song from the title or author, but trust me, you've heard it.
9. Gimme All Your Lovin' - ZZ Top
Classic rock, baby.  My little girl loves bobbing her head to this one.
10. Call Me - Blondie
You won't need to beg for phone calls when you're moving to this song.  You'll be beating those boys off with sticks.
11. Sweet Dreams - Beyonce
I'm assuming I look like a completely idiot when this song hits my earbuds because I can't help but shake it a little more on the elliptical.
12. Like a Boy - Ciara
Talk about girl power!  This song will have you wanting to inflict pain on every sleazy ex you've ever had.
13. Self-Esteem - The Offspring
This song may not be for everyone, but I love it.  It just makes me wanna jump, and the lyrics are always stuck in my head the rest of the day.
14. I Need to Know - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
I love a little Tom Petty.  This song has some good energy to it.
15. You Spin Me Right Round - Dead or Alive
I'm an 80's girl.  I LOVE 80's music.  You better have some 80's music in your workout playlist.


If you don't know some of these, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't check them out.   Most of the time, if you type the title and author into Google you can listen to a sample clip of the song.  Some of the time they even have the entire song available!


Update your playlist and I guarantee you'll have one of the best workouts in a while because you'll be looking forward to all the new songs.  What are some of your favorite songs to work out to?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't worked out in FOREVER! Thanks for sharing the playlist. I always need some new jams to listen to. And I am loooving your blog. It's so fun and fresh to read... and yummy, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lovin' your blog too!! I've kinda come a halt in my weight loss, so this is just the motivation I need. And I do love Chili's Chicken Crispers, so I'll be trying this recipe out soon!

    ReplyDelete